College Credit Plus
What is College Credit Plus?
College Credit Plus is a new state mandated program that allows all college-ready students, in grades 7-12 who qualify for college admission, to begin earning 15 to 30, college credit hours before graduating from high school. The credits are guaranteed transferable to any public institution of Higher Education within the University System of Ohio. College Credit Plus replaces Ohio's Post-Secondary Enrollment Options programs often referred to as PSEO.
Who Can Participate?
- If you are a student in grades 7-12 you can apply for College Credit Plus admission to a public or participating private college.
- There is NO minimum GPA requirement.
- The college will admit you based on your college-readiness in one or more subject areas and according to their specific admission procedures and criteria. This may include certain scores on entrance tests.
What are the benefits of taking College Credit Plus courses?
- College Credit Plus provides more options to pursue rigorous academic coursework beyond the high school classroom.
- Under College Credit Plus, CCS students can complete their freshman year of college or more.
- Earning college credits while in high school can reduce the time and costs of attending college after high school.
- Provides students an opportunity to gain the confidence they need to be successful in post-secondary education.
- Grades are weighted for Columbus City Schools GPA and rank.
What are the risks of taking College Credit Plus courses?
- College coursework is more rigorous than high school.
- Pace is much faster – students will cover similar content as a year-long AP class in a 15 week semester.
- College faculty expect more work to be done outside of the classroom.
- Financial Risk - CCP legislation states the school districts may require families to re-pay the cost of tuition and books for students who fail courses or withdraw from /drop courses after the 14th calendar day that the course begins. Please see the document below for more information:
College Credit Plus Informational night will be held on February 13, 2018 from 5PM to 6PM during the KCH Village Meeting.